The Corinth Canal lies four kilometers east of modern Corinth. The idea of building a canal through the Isthmus of Corinth (which connects the Peloponnese to the rest of Greece) was conceived by the tyran Periander in the sixth century BC. However, it was only completed during the period 1882-1893, after modern Greece gained independence. Involving an excavation up to 80 meters in depth, the canal is 6.3 kilometers long, 23 meters wide, and eight meters deep, and can take vessels of up to 10,000 tons. The best view of the canal is from the bridge, which carries the road over it. An interesting feature is the movable bridge at the northwest end, which can be sunk below the surface, allowing smaller ships and sailing boats to pass through (paying a hefty tariff). However, it is too narrow for larger ships.